Тема создана: 18 апреля 2009, 17:39 · Автор: Dry
  • 9 Страниц
  • Первая
 peddy
  • Imperial
Imperial
Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 18:28

Вы сами пишите "21 мая союзный флот беспрепятственно прошел в Геную, где снабдил армию Моро припасами и солдатами. Через десять дней, приняв раненых, республиканцы взяли курс на родину". Но соглпсно переписке Нельсона, как раз с 20 мая нельсон выходит в поход к Маритиму, а последнее письмо датируется 28 мая. В Палермо Нельсон возвращается 30 числа(первое письмо из Палермо Сен-Винсенту датировано именно этим числом). Таким образом Нельсон не укрылся при приближении французов на базе,а как раз вышел в море.
     Renown
    • Imperial
    Imperial
    Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 18:56

Для просмотра ссылки Зарегистрируйтесь
       peddy
      • Imperial
      Imperial
      Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 19:35

That evening, the 13th, at nine o'clock, a lieutenant arrived, who had been landed to the westward of Palermo by a sloop-of-war, the "Peterel," she not being able to beat up to the city against the east wind prevailing. From him Nelson learned that the French fleet had passed the Straits, and had been seen off Minorca. The next day, the "Peterel" having come off the port, he went alongside, and sent her on at once to Malta, with orders to Ball to abandon the blockade, bringing with him all his ships, and to proceed off Maritimo, a small island twenty miles west of Sicily, where he now proposed to concentrate his squadron and to go himself. Troubridge, having already orders to come to Palermo, needed no further instructions, except to bring all his ships, instead of leaving one at Naples. Every ship-of-the-line in the squadron, including the Portuguese, was thus summoned to join the Flag, in a position to cover Palermo and the approaches to the eastern Mediterranean. To these necessary dispositions was owing that the senior officer left at Naples was Captain Foote, who afterwards signed the articles of capitulation with the insurgents, which gave such offence to Nelson, and have occasioned much controversy in connection with his subsequent action.

Troubridge, having sailed at once on receipt of his first orders, arrived on the 17th with three British ships and one Portuguese. A heavy gale prevented Nelson getting to sea till the 20th, when he sailed, and was joined the next morning by the fourth ship from Naples. The same day came a Portuguese corvette from Gibraltar and Mahon, with letters from St. Vincent and Duckworth. The former announced that the French had passed the Straits, and that he was about to start in pursuit. Duckworth, who also was asked to join off Maritimo, declined to do so, saying that he must await the commander-in-chief. Nelson had of course immediately communicated to the latter his change of plan. He hoped to collect ten sail-of-the-line, which, "if Duckworth reinforce me, will enable me to look the enemy in the face"—fourteen ships to nineteen; "but should any of the Russians or Turks be off Malta, I hope to get a force of different nations equal to the enemy, when not a moment shall be lost in bringing them to battle."

On the 23d of May he was off Maritimo with seven ships, Ball not having joined yet. His spirits were fast rising, as in thought he drew near the enemy. "Duckworth means to leave me to my fate," he wrote to Lady Hamilton. "Never mind; if I can get eleven sail together, they shall not hurt me." "I am under no apprehension for the safety of his Majesty's squadron," he said in a circular letter to his scattered vessels, designed to heighten their ardor; "on the contrary, from the very high state of discipline of the ships, I am confident, should the enemy force us to battle, that we shall cut a very respectable figure; and if Admiral Duckworth joins, not one moment shall be lost in my attacking the enemy." It must be mentioned that St. Vincent had expressed his opinion that the French were bound for Malta and Alexandria, and Nelson, when he wrote these words, was hourly expecting to see their sails appear on the horizon. He did not know yet, however, that they were twenty-five, instead of nineteen, of the line. To St. Vincent he expressed himself with the sober, dauntless resolution of a consummate warrior, who recognized that opportunities must be seized, and detachments, if need be, sacrificed, for the furtherance of a great common object. "Your Lordship may depend that the squadron under my command shall never fall into the hands of the enemy; and before we are destroyed, I have little doubt but the enemy will have their wings so completely clipped that they may be easily overtaken"—by you. In this temper he waited. It is this clear perception of the utility of his contemplated grapple with superior numbers, and not the headlong valor and instinct for fighting that unquestionably distinguished him, which constitutes the excellence of Nelson's genius. This it was which guided him in the great Trafalgar campaign, and the lack of which betrayed Villeneuve at the same period to his wretched shortcomings. Yet, as has before been remarked, mere insight, however accurate and penetrating, ends only in itself, or at best falls far short of the mark, unless accompanied by Nelson's great power of disregarding contingencies—an inspired blindness, which at the moment of decisive action sees, not the risks, but the one only road to possible victory.

Whilst thus expecting an engagement which, from the disparity of numbers, could be nothing short of desperate, he drew up a codicil to his will, making to Lady Hamilton a bequest, in terms that show how complete were the infatuation and idealization now in possession of his mind: "I give and bequeath to my dear friend, Emma Hamilton, wife of the Right Hon. Sir William Hamilton, a nearly round box set with diamonds, said to have been sent me by the mother of the Grand Signor, which I request she will accept (and never part from) as token of regard and respect for her very eminent virtues (for she, the said Emma Hamilton, possesses them all to such a degree that it would be doing her injustice was any particular one to be mentioned) from her faithful and affectionate friend." During this short cruise he wrote her almost daily, and at some length, in addition to the more official communications addressed to Hamilton. At this same period he was excusing himself to his wife for the shortness and infrequency of his letters: "Pray attribute it to the true cause—viz., that in truth my poor hand cannot execute what my head tells me I ought to do."

On the 28th of May Nelson received letters from St. Vincent, dated the 21st, off Minorca, which put him in possession of the movements of the enemy up to that date. The French fleet, under the command of Admiral Bruix, had appeared on the 4th of the month off Cadiz. It was then blowing a half-gale of wind, and the French admiral did not care, under that condition, to engage the fifteen British ships-of-the-line which were cruising off the harbor, under Lord Keith, who had come out from England the previous autumn to be St. Vincent's second in command. The intended junction with the Spanish squadron in Cadiz being thus thwarted, Bruix passed the Straits on the 5th, and Lord St. Vincent, having recalled Keith, followed on the 12th with sixteen ships. On the 20th he joined Duckworth, and learned that the enemy, when last seen, were heading for Toulon. Keith's removal had uncovered Cadiz, and St. Vincent fully expected that the Spanish fleet would leave there for the Mediterranean, which it did, and on the 20th entered Cartagena, to the number of seventeen of the line, but much crippled from a stormy passage. This Nelson did not yet know, nor that Bruix had reached Toulon on the 14th of May, and sailed again on the 26th for the eastward.

Satisfied that the enemy would not at once come his way, and knowing that a vessel had passed up the Mediterranean from St. Vincent to put Sidney Smith on his guard, Nelson ordered Ball to resume the blockade of Malta with two ships-of-the-line. The rest of his squadron he kept massed, and took to Palermo, where he arrived May 29th. Lookout ships were stationed off the north end of Corsica and west of Sardinia. "My reason for remaining in Sicily," he wrote St. Vincent, "is the covering the blockade of Naples, and the certainty of preserving Sicily in case of an attack, for if we were to withdraw our ships, it would throw such a damp on the people that I am sure there would be no resistance."

On the 6th of June Duckworth arrived at Palermo from the main fleet, with four ships-of-the-line, among them the "Foudroyant," eighty. This ship had been designated originally for Nelson's flag, and he shifted to her from the "Vanguard" on the 8th. Duckworth brought a report that St. Vincent was about to give up the command and go home, on account of ill-health. This at once aroused Nelson's anxiety, for he had long felt that few superiors would have the greatness of mind to trust him as implicitly, and humor him as tenderly, as the great admiral had done. It is not every one that can handle an instrument of such trenchant power, yet delicate temper, as Nelson's sensitive genius. The combination in St. Vincent of perfect professional capacity with masterful strength of character, had made the tactful respect he showed to Nelson's ability peculiarly grateful to the latter; and had won from him a subordination of the will, and an affection, which no subsequent commander-in-chief could elicit. He wrote to him:—

MY DEAR LORD,—We have a report that you are going home. This distresses us most exceedingly, and myself in particular; so much so, that I have serious thoughts of returning, if that event should take place. But for the sake of our Country, do not quit us at this serious moment. I wish not to detract from the merit of whoever may be your successor; but it must take a length of time, which I hope the war will not give, to be in any manner a St. Vincent. We look up to you, as we have always found you, as to our Father, under whose fostering care we have been led to fame.... Give not up a particle of your authority to any one; be again our St. Vincent, and we shall be happy.

Your affectionate NELSON.

Вы подтверждаете мои слова, вплоть до того,что испанцы в Картахене зависли, та Брюи один был.
      - - - - - - Сообщение автоматически склеено - - - - - -
      On the 2d of June, being then seventy miles southwest of Toulon, St. Vincent turned over to Keith the command of the twenty ships-of-the-line then with him, and went to Port Mahon. For the moment he retained in his own hands the charge of the station,—continued Commander-in-chief,—with headquarters at Minorca, and two divisions cruising: one of twenty ships, with Keith, between Toulon and Minorca, and one of sixteen, including three Portuguese, under Nelson in the waters of Sicily.
      А заодно про 16 кораблей нельсона
         peddy
        • Imperial
        Imperial
        Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 20:12

Только в ходе второго выхода французов из Тулона (по изложению приведенного Вами автора,брюи вывел 22 корабля и именно тогда совершил вояж в Геную), Нельсон опять выйдя к маритиму, пишет Кейту(принявшему командование по болезни Сен-Винсента),что вынужден вернуться в Палермо,т.к. корабли у франков крупнее а у него народа моло. Но при этом в итоге остается у Маритиму,т.к. дискредитирует себя если не будет искать боя с французами.К этому моменту у него 18 кораблей.Он уходит от узнав об усилении Кейта кораблями Канала к Неаполю,где следуют разборки с республиканцами.
        У приведенного Вами автора Брюи оба раза действует один,Нельсон оба раза стережет его у маритиму.
           Renown
          • Imperial
          Imperial
          Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 20:14

peddy

А заодно про 16 кораблей нельсона

Там же написано, что 3 корабля Болла и 2 корабля Трубриджа присоединились к Нельсону с 22 по 26-е.
             peddy
            • Imperial
            Imperial
            Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 20:27

Вам продолжать переводить Мэхена? Или привести все таки письма Нельсона действующим лицам с датами и МЕСТОМ НАПИСАНИЯ? Или письма подделка? Я их не по Мэхену смоттрел,а в издании корреспонденции Нельсона т.3
            Нельсон БЫЛ в море когда там был Брюи,а не прятался в порту.Согласно своей корреспонденции.
            Мэхен у меня в переводе есть). А Нельсону можно в вину поставить,что он,считая,что у Брюи 19 кораблей а не 25(или 40 если ба они обьединялись с испанцами), вышел в море к Маритиму с 11 английскими и 3 португаллами(тут Вы правы,он в одном из писем Сен-Винсенту излагает диспозицию кораблей).Но не то,что он бежал в порт.
               Renown
              • Imperial
              Imperial
              Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 20:52

peddy

Вам продолжать переводить Мэхена?

Зачем?

peddy

Или привести все таки письма Нельсона действующим лицам с датами и МЕСТОМ НАПИСАНИЯ?

У меня есть все собрание Nelson's Dispatchers. Опять-таки - зачем?

peddy

Но при этом в итоге остается у Маритиму,т.к. дискредитирует себя если не будет искать боя с французами.

А теперь смотрите, где находится Maritimo. 12 миль западнее Сицилии, район Трапани. Этим самым Нельсон перекрывает путь на Мальту, но ЭТО ЧИСТО ОБОРОНИТЕЛЬНАЯ ПОЗИЦИЯ. Бой искать с французами надо все же севернее - в районе Кальви или Бастии.

peddy

Нельсон БЫЛ в море когда там был Брюи,а не прятался в порту

В 12 милях от Трапани. И в 400 милях от Брюи. Ох, Горацио..))

peddy

Но не то,что он бежал в порт.

Дрейфовал рядом с портом.
                 peddy
                • Imperial
                Imperial
                Форумчанин

Дата: 27 марта 2012, 21:03

Он перекрывает путь на Мальту,он в море.Вы пишите,что он убежал в порт(Неаполь или Палермо).Я пишу,что вышел в море из порта.Перекрыть подход к Мальте(считая силы противника меньше,чем они есть на самом деле).Есть разница?
                Дрейфовать на оборонительной позиции,выйдя в море, и убежать в порт разница все-таки есть.Написали бы "дрейфовал на оборонительной позиции" всей этой дискуссии не было бы.
                  • 9 Страниц
                  • Первая